EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

The racist thugs of the "Scottish" Defence League were prevented from having any demonstration at all on Saturday, because of the successful counter demonstration of the Edinburgh Anti-Fascist Alliance. Hundreds of us turned out on the day in a vibrant and exciting protest, to show the racist thugs that their bigotry and divisive hatred is not welcome in Edinburgh.

 

After congregating at the Princes Mall, we marched to the bottom of the mound. Once our scouts gave us reliable information about where the main meeting point for the SDL was, we marched toward that location. We went down the royal mile, dodging police kettles, and avoiding the attempts by the UAF to take us to the Scotland United Demonstration. We rallied at the Jenny Ha pub which was the main meet up point for the SDL, and the police quickly surrounded the pub as we arrived.

Our presence there ensured that they were not able to leave the pub to have their planned demonstration at the Scottish Parliament. Our actions made sure they were not even able to have a rally, as they were allowed to do in Glasgow.

The police were forced to put around 80 EDL/SDL trapped in the pub on buses, and they were sent out of town, many of them back to Glasgow, most of them back to England.

In other areas of town, seventy EDL at Waverly Station, who had travelled up from England were kettled in the train station by police. And anti-fascists chased a group of EDL who were attempting to get to the Jenny Or back to the train station, only to join their friends in a police kettle. After a few hours standing on a cold platform in a police kettle the EDL were all sent back to England.

Their efforts to have a racist protest in Edinburgh were completely disrupted, and we have left them demoralised. It is unlikely that there will be another SDL demonstration in Scotland, after our success in Edinburgh yesterday, and the success of the Glasgow Anti-Fascist Alliance in November.

Well done to everyone who turned out on the day, it is a great success that we should all be proud of!

Comments

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Anonymous

I think its important to understand, that a lot of work was done before hand over the course of a month to get an agreement that the SDL would not get the right to march or protest, in fact they had already been denied anywhere in the city centre because the Scotland United march had picked up the city centre route deliberately.

Thet were told first thing they were not getting out of the pub! or going anywhere, evetyone of them was searched, videoed and checked before being forced out of the city, justy as what happened in Glasgow when you also forgot that there was a massive mobilisation

In addition the cops had implemented the public order act and were sent in to keep them in the pubs as buses were already chartered to take them out of the city, you may well wish to claim all the credit for doing this but a mass mobilisation of 2500 is what led to their being kettled in pubs.

Your presence cannt claim credit for what happened that day, what you did suceed in doing was keeping them in the city longer for several hours than intended. Plus leading of a splinter march to the pub almost gave the right to SDL to stage a protest that they wanted.

Plus do you claim credit for the hundred or more turned back on the trains, its a mass movement that willbeat them, not a handful of you guys that claim to be anti fascists but dont do anything about racism the rest of the time. Not one of you got near them, but the fact there were thousands demonstrating in the city that day is the sort of pressure that needed to be applied to beat the nazis. there was no trade unions, no representation of the muslim community at your so caled demo? the amount of rubbish written in the run up tothis event and after!!!

Bottom line is that it was a great day, but it would be better if you actually told the whole truth, and i expect we wont hear from you macho anti fascist guys the next time theres a racist murder or i suspect you wontbe hunting down the nazis as they go drinking in their usual haunts this weekend

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By CH

Anonymous wrote:

I think its important to understand, that a lot of work was done before hand over the course of a month to get an agreement that the SDL would not get the right to march or protest, in fact they had already been denied anywhere in the city centre because the Scotland United march had picked up the city centre route deliberately.

[etc...]

Bottom line is that it was a great day, but it would be better if you actually told the whole truth, and i expect we wont hear from you macho anti fascist guys the next time theres a racist murder or i suspect you wontbe hunting down the nazis as they go drinking in their usual haunts this weekend

This is full of dishonesty.

  • "macho anti fascist guys" - sexist generalisations much? I saw a better gender balance at the bottom of the Royal Mile than on the Scotland Utd. speakers' platform.
  • "claim to be anti fascists but dont do anything about racism the rest of the time" - unprovable and untrue to boot.
  • "just as what happened in Glasgow when you also forgot that there was a massive mobilisation" - see this is the key isn't it. Just as in Glasgow, a small group lie to a crowd in an attempt to keep people from going to confront fascists. I spoke with Scotland Utd attendees who baffled by the police presence, not even aware that the SDL were in town.
  • "Not one of you got near them" - apart from the spotters, the groups pinning the SDL in Jenny Ha's, the group confronting them at the Bank Hotel. That's just from a quick reading of reports here. Doubtless there's more unreported.
  • "the fact there were thousands demonstrating in the city that day is the sort of pressure that needed to be applied to beat the nazis." - Saturday afternoon in Edinburgh, you get 1000s of people in the city no matter what. It's clear from events that the 400 or so intent on confronting the SDL had more impact than ~2500 listening to Jim Murphy two miles away.
  • "Plus leading of a splinter march to the pub almost gave the right to SDL to stage a protest that they wanted." - A bizarre claim. Trapping part of their group in a pub and preventing the rest of them from meeting up with them "almost" let them have a protest? They wanted to get to the Mosque. Reliance on Scotland Utd would have seen the police let them  march around the bottom of Holyrood and up the Pleasance.

I'm sure there are benefits to both strategies, but lies and insults are not a basis for comradely discussion on the way forward.

If you want to come back in a more straightforward fashion, I'd be interested to hear you explain how you think that promoting a discredited and despised political class that has abandoned the working class will delegitimise fascist politics?

Plainly put, why would the SDL's target audience give a fuck what Labour and the Tories have to say?

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Thinker

CH wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I think its important to understand, that a lot of work was done before hand over the course of a month to get an agreement that the SDL would not get the right to march or protest, in fact they had already been denied anywhere in the city centre because the Scotland United march had picked up the city centre route deliberately.

[etc...]

Bottom line is that it was a great day, but it would be better if you actually told the whole truth, and i expect we wont hear from you macho anti fascist guys the next time theres a racist murder or i suspect you wontbe hunting down the nazis as they go drinking in their usual haunts this weekend

This is full of dishonesty.

  • "macho anti fascist guys" - sexist generalisations much? I saw a better gender balance at the bottom of the Royal Mile than on the Scotland Utd. speakers' platform.
  • "claim to be anti fascists but dont do anything about racism the rest of the time" - unprovable and untrue to boot.
  • "just as what happened in Glasgow when you also forgot that there was a massive mobilisation" - see this is the key isn't it. Just as in Glasgow, a small group lie to a crowd in an attempt to keep people from going to confront fascists. I spoke with Scotland Utd attendees who baffled by the police presence, not even aware that the SDL were in town.
  • "Not one of you got near them" - apart from the spotters, the groups pinning the SDL in Jenny Ha's, the group confronting them at the Bank Hotel. That's just from a quick reading of reports here. Doubtless there's more unreported.
  • "the fact there were thousands demonstrating in the city that day is the sort of pressure that needed to be applied to beat the nazis." - Saturday afternoon in Edinburgh, you get 1000s of people in the city no matter what. It's clear from events that the 400 or so intent on confronting the SDL had more impact than ~2500 listening to Jim Murphy two miles away.
  • "Plus leading of a splinter march to the pub almost gave the right to SDL to stage a protest that they wanted." - A bizarre claim. Trapping part of their group in a pub and preventing the rest of them from meeting up with them "almost" let them have a protest? They wanted to get to the Mosque. Reliance on Scotland Utd would have seen the police let them  march around the bottom of Holyrood and up the Pleasance.

I'm sure there are benefits to both strategies, but lies and insults are not a basis for comradely discussion on the way forward.

If you want to come back in a more straightforward fashion, I'd be interested to hear you explain how you think that promoting a discredited and despised political class that has abandoned the working class will delegitimise fascist politics?

Plainly put, why would the SDL's target audience give a fuck what Labour and the Tories have to say?

What ever happened to free speech?

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By CH

Thinker wrote: What ever happened to free speech?

Is this aimed at my question above? Free speech doesn't give folk the right to lie.

If it's a general point, free speech doesn't give folk the right to try & launch pogroms.

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By stuart wightman

use r fucking scum. you are the people ruining our society.

my grandad fought for this country now its my turn

 

i was at the back of waverly station there were 50 of use and 15 of us 4 were 16 you would not even have a pop.

 

i genuinley hope you all die a slow and painfull death as this great britain would be better off with out you tree hugging tramps

wightman

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Anonymous

CH wrote:
Thinker wrote: What ever happened to free speech?

Is this aimed at my question above? Free speech doesn't give folk the right to lie.

If it's a general point, free speech doesn't give folk the right to try & launch pogroms.

You are an idiot free speech is for everyone even if people do lie you are an idiot i dont see you protesting against religion .IDIOT

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Anonymous

Anonymous wrote:
CH wrote:
Thinker wrote: What ever happened to free speech?

Is this aimed at my question above? Free speech doesn't give folk the right to lie.

If it's a general point, free speech doesn't give folk the right to try & launch pogroms.

You are an idiot free speech is for everyone even if people do lie you are an idiot i dont see you protesting against religion .IDIOT

Free speech is only for lefties, homos, and all the other trendy politicaly correct groups who wish to silence all those who question their sick and twisted plans for our country!

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Jon B

Anonymous wrote:
Free speech is only for homos

LOL I think you are troubled mate. Repressed homosexuality slipping out there?

 

Re: EDL sent packing by militant anti-fascism!

By Anonymous

Jon B wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Free speech is only for homos

LOL I think you are troubled mate. Repressed homosexuality slipping out there?

 

Maybe he should reassert his mascualinity by taking part in left wing demos and getting excited by fash bashing!